Environmental Issues for Kids (EI4K) has video lessons for your kids. These lessons cover national science standards and help you get your kids to spend time outside.
With EI4K’s video lessons, your child will:
- Watch pre-recorded video lessons
- Carry out the assignments
- Chat with the teacher and other students during weekly student office hours to ask questions and go over results
- Develop skills such as observing, identifying, measuring, graphing, and modeling
Your role is to:
- Watch a short parent intro video for each lesson
- Assist your child with the assignment (for example, gather materials or take your child to locations in the community)
- Assist your child with student office hours if they need help typing
- Chat with the teacher and other parents during parent office hours (optional)
Environmental education lessons prepare your child for the future.
All of the lessons relate to the natural or manmade environment in some way. This unique aspect to EI4K’s lessons ensures that your child will be prepared to identify, investigate, and develop solutions for environmental problems and issues that they’ll encounter now and in the future. These skills are taught at an age-appropriate level.
You won’t need a separate science curriculum.
All of the Next Generation Science Standards will be covered when the video lesson series is complete, which means your child will learn what elementary children all over the U.S. learn about science. Topics will include ecology, earth science, physics, engineering, and scientific investigations.
Researching environmental issues teaches your child about citizenship.
As a result of their research into local environmental issues, your child may choose to become involved by taking actions to help the environment. EI4K’s program encourages them to be an active citizen on issues that matter to them.
Social studies concepts are included.
While EI4K is not a complete social studies curriculum, all 10 themes from the National Curriculum Standards for Social Studies will be found in the lessons.